Oyster Playlist: Darshan Jesrani
A 'Steamy New York Disco Nights'-themed playlist.
Darshan Jesrani is playing tonight at Town Hall's Paradiso venue as part of the Sydney Festival. A big deal in the disco and dance scene, the NY-based DJ has been acclaimed for his Metro Area project with partner Morgan Geist — their 2002 debut album was voted BBC/Radio 1's 'Dance Album of the Year', and their track 'Miura' came in at #1 on Resident Advisor's 'Top 100 Tracks of the Decade'. When he's going solo, Darshan is known for his remixes and, much to the delight of his fans, he will be releasing new original material this year.
Tonight, he will play alongside Balihu Records' Daniel Wang, and Picnic's Kali and Andy Web. Tickets are still available for $36, and the doors open at 8pm. In the meantime, Darshan put together this 'Steamy New York Disco Nights' playlist just for you! Here, he shares ten tracks and a little bit about why he has included each of them.
1. 'Oh My Guitar' — Juan Carlos Calderon
Something languid to go with the heat. No need to rush things!
2. 'Dance On The Groove (And Do The Funk)' — Love International
Putting the evening into first gear. Do as the record says and you'll be good to go.
3. 'Jam Hot (Rhumba Rock)' — Johnny Dynell and New York 88
Similar instructions, slightly different swing for you to shake your thing.
4. 'Freakman' — Empire Projecting Penny
5. 'Tunisian Ride' — Sticky Jones Gang
A freaky scene.
6. 'You Got Something Special' — Lemelle
This may be the platonic ideal of 80s R&B.
7. 'Bodyshine' — Instant Funk
This record makes big promises, but I've also seen it deliver.
8. 'One Night Affair' — Samona Cooke
At least it's all on the table.
9. 'Must Be Love' — James Gang
On the other hand.
10. 'Macumba' — Tantra
A long, hot night.